Friday, August 8, 2008

Venting......

First let me say this has nothing to do with our trip....

I am angry. REALLY ANGRY. Many of you know that we had decided a few months ago to adopt again, this time from Taiwan. We chose an agency, we'll just call them Commonwealth, that came HIGHLY recommended by many social workers (not ours however, as she had never worked with them..) and were signed up for the Taiwan program. Long story short, things just didn't seem right. They kept asking for money, we kept sending it. Until they asked a for a huge payment...one that wasn't suppossed to be made for a year or so, closer to the day we received our child. I went to Mark and said something didn't feel right, and asked if he was okay with me stopping this adoption. He agreed. That night I sent them a letter describing all the inconsistencies with what was promised, and with what was reality, and told them we were NOT comfortable moving ahead, and asked for our money back. The first letter in response essentially called me a liar. The second letter promised a refund saying because Taiwan had changed it's laws, and because we could not get what was promised us, they would mail us a check. Give it a few weeks to arrive they said. So we waited, and waited, and waited........
Three weeks ago Monday Commonwealth said they sent out the check. Two weeks go by, and NOTHING. So Monday I e-mail and tell them the check hasn't arrived. They confirm the day it went out, and include the address to which it was sent. Still, hasn't shown up. I e-mail again, and get a response today. ...........seems they are closing. Our adoption money is gone.

I am so angry I am shaking. Please pray for us.

7 comments:

JMCS said...

Jill,

I am so sorry to hear this. I have my fingers crossed that the check does eventually show up. Is there any way that you can legally take them to court? This makes me so angry! What the heck did they mean that Taiwan had changed the rules and you could not get what was promised to you? I am so angry with the way they treated you guys.

I am so glad that you and Mark stopped sending the money and investigated further wjen things started sounding fishy. Please let us know how things work out okay? I am so sorry that this is happening my friend. Can you still do a Taiwan adoption with another agency if or when your agency sends your money back?

{BIG} Hugs,
Jonni

Robin said...

I had to come out of lurking for this post. (sorry, I really a big lurker and not much of a commenter) However, I feel your pain. We aren't dealing with as large an amount of money as you probably are but none the less, we have our agency saying we didn't send something that we did so we don't get our refund. How do I prove I sent it. I never even thought to send it certified mail. It was just a one month post placement letter not required for China but just to our agency. I never knew my deposit refund depended on it or I would have sent it certified. UGH!!
I hope you are talking to a lawyer about getting your fees back.

Colleen said...

I am so sorry you are going through all this and I pray you will be able to somehow get your funds back. What a blessing you went with your feelings and never did send them anymore.
Hoping to hear some better news with all of this!! Hang in there!!!!!:)

Musings from Kim K. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm so sorry to read about your family's situation with your former agency. I wish international adoption was easier. I hope you can take some sort of legal action.

Michelle R Photography said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I will pray for you - that you get your money back and can continue on your adoption journey at another agency.

Jill said...

Oh Jill~

I'm sorry to hear this! I'm really glad your intuition kicked in and you knew not to pay the adoption agency any more $$$.

I really hope you get your money back. I will be praying that you do!!!

Jill

Paula said...

This sounds a lot like what we went through with an agency when we were considering adopting from Guatemala (before they closed up). Good thing you got out while you could.